Nationwide Jingle Challenge High School Music Contest
These are the Official Rules for the Nationwide’s Jingle Challenge High School Music Contest (“Contest” or “Promotion”). The Contest is sponsored by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company (“Nationwide” or “Sponsor”), One Nationwide Plaza, Columbus, Ohio 43215.
Click here for a list of frequently asked questions.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. PURCHASING A NATIONWIDE PRODUCT OR OBTAINING A NATIONWIDE PRODUCT QUOTE WILL NOT INCREASE THE ODDS OF WINNING.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A NATIONWIDE CUSTOMER TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST; BEING A NATIONWIDE CUSTOMER DOES NOT INCREASE OR DECREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility. The Contest is open to officially-recognized High School musical groups (e.g., choirs, bands, glee clubs, and similar musical performance groups) in the fifty United States and the District of Columbia. Entries may only be made by a musical group director, teacher, or other authorized staff member, who has appropriate permission from their school to enter.
Schools are permitted to submit multiple entries, but there can only be one winner per school. Multiple groups from the same school may collaborate on a single entry.
All participating submitters are responsible for ensuring that student participants are enrolled at the respective schools and have the approval and permission of their parent(s) or legal guardian to share their video, enter the Promotion, and follow these Rules.
Employees, agents and financial professionals of Nationwide, and each of their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, owners, shareholders, officers, directors, agents, representatives and employees, their advertising and promotion agencies, and any entity involved in the development, production, implementation, administration or fulfillment of the Contest (all of the foregoing, collectively referred to as “Contest Entities”) are not eligible to enter the Contest.
Sponsor shall determine, in its sole discretion, whether an entry meets the eligibility criteria to participate in the Contest. Sponsor’s decisions regarding eligibility and all other aspects of the Contest are final and binding. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, and is void in all geographic locations where prohibited by law.
2. How to Enter. The Contest will begin at 6:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”) on Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2023 and end at 7:59 p.m. ET on Wednesday, Dec. 13, 2023 (the “Contest Period”). Sponsor will be the official timekeeper for the Contest. Participating Groups may enter by uploading a Qualifying Video to TikTok during the Contest Period.
A Qualifying Video must include:
- A video of an eligible musical group performing a version of the Nationwide Jingle (“Nationwide is on your side” should be included by vocal groups; instrumental groups should play the seven-note jingle).
- Members of the group may be on or off camera.
- The entry hashtag #NationwideChallengeContest must be included in the post copy/caption.
- Tag @Nationwide
- Settings on this video must be public, so we can see your entry.
- Must be an original post; not a stich, duet, or reply.
- Other than the Nationwide Jingle words and music, all video and audio content must be original.
- No third-party brands or logos may be included.
- Entries should not mention or tag anyone other than the group/school, and @Nationwide.
- Must follow all platform rules and applicable laws.
The contest is based on TikTok “likes” so you may encourage your friends to like and share your video. What you cannot do is provide any incentives for them to do so; nor can you use any form of paid promotion to increase the reach of your entry (e.g.TikTok Spark).
Failure to follow any of the steps in this section or the rest of these Rules may result in the disqualification of your attempted entry as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
The use of multiple identities and/or accounts is prohibited, and any attempt to obtain more than the stated number of entries will void that participant’s entries and may result in participant’s disqualification. Incomplete, forged, altered, automated, mechanically reproduced, lost, late, misdirected, garbled, or illegible entries, or entries that do not meet the size or formatting requirements specified above, will be disqualified. Sponsor will not be responsible for failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or Sponsor.
In the event of a dispute, all online entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the owner of the TikTok account from which they were sent, provided that such person satisfies all other Contest eligibility requirements.
Sponsor will not be responsible for lost, incomplete, illegible, late, misdirected, stolen, or mutilated entries; technical or mechanical malfunctions; acts or inactions of TikTok; errors in the Official Rules, in any related ads or materials; or processing error. Nationwide can void the entry of any entrant who it believes has attempted to tamper with or impair Contest administration, security, fairness, or proper play.
3. Media Consent and Release. By entering the Contest, the entrants consent to participation in the Contest and further consent to Nationwide to obtaining, using, and transferring the entrants' (band/choir/group) performance, name(s), social media handle(s) and/or username(s), photograph(s), voice(s) and/or other likeness, submitted materials, and prize information for advertising and promotional purposes in association with this Contest without notice, review, approval, or compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide, unless prohibited by law.
By entering, entrants (band/choir/group) grants Nationwide an exclusive, royalty-free and irrevocable license and right (but not the obligation) to telecast, broadcast, copy, edit, adapt, modify, reproduce, publish, create derivative works of, distribute, use, or otherwise publicly display any or all of your entries, or any portion thereof, in any manner or medium throughout the world in perpetuity, for commercial, publicity, or promotional purposes, and to license others to do so, without limitation, review or approval, or compensation to you.
By submitting an entry, the submitter represents and warrants that they have secured all necessary permission and consent to grant the rights set forth in this section, from any individuals included or depicted in the submission, including in the cases of minors, from their parent or legal guardian.
Nationwide is under no obligation to use any submissions and reserves the right to reject and/or remove your entry at any time if, in Nationwide's sole discretion, it deems the content inappropriate for the Contest.
BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST AND SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE, AGREE, AND REPRESENT THAT YOU ARE AN AUTHORIZED DIRECTOR/ /TEACHER/STAFF MEMBER OF THE GROUP, THAT YOU HAVE APPROPRIATE PERMISSION FROM THE SCHOOL, AND THAT ALL MEMBERS OF THE PARTICPATING GROUP ARE ENROLLED AT THE PARTICIPATING SCHOOL, AND HAS THE PERMISSION OF THIR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN, AND YOU HAVE THE PERMISSION OF EACH PERSON APPEARING IN THE ENTRY TO SUBMIT SUCH ENTRY FOR THIS CONTEST AND GRANT THE PERMISSIONS HEREIN.
YOU ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT NATIONWIDE IS THE OWNER OF THE WORDS AND MUSIC THAT CONSTITUTE THE NATIONWIDE JINGLE, AND THAT THE GROUP’S PERFORMANCE AND YOUR SUBMISSION ARE SUBJECT TO THAT OWNERSHIP.
By entering, you represent and warrant with regard to your entry:
(i) You are submitting your entry on your behalf and on behalf of the group, school, and school district you are associated with.
(ii) Aside from Nationwide’s rights to the Jingle, the entry is the original work of your group, and/or you have all the rights necessary to post or re-post the content. Entries must not contain any material that would violate or infringe upon the rights of any person or entity, including without limitation copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity, or that is defamatory, threatening, indecent, obscene or offensive, or that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to any applicable laws or regulations, or which requires a license from any third party.
(iii) Your entry is appropriate for public viewing. Without limiting the foregoing, your entry is not lewd, obscene, sexually explicit, pornographic, disparaging, defamatory, libelous, or otherwise contain content which Sponsor in its sole discretion decides is inappropriate or objectionable. Your entry must also not disparage or cast a negative light on any person, entity, or brand, product, or service.
(iv) Entries should not mention anyone other than the group/school, and Nationwide.
Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to not consider any entry for the Contest if it believes the entry violates or potentially violates any of the foregoing requirements or otherwise fails to comply with any provision of these Official Rules.
By submitting your entry you also grant to Sponsor the worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, fully sub-licensable, and freely transferable right, but not the obligation, to use any and all names, identities, titles, likenesses, distinctive appearances, physical likenesses, images, portraits, pictures, photographs (whether still or moving), screen personas, voices, vocal styles, statements, gestures, mannerisms, personalities, performance characteristics, biographical data, signatures, and any other indicia or imitations of identity or likeness listed, provided, referenced, or otherwise contained in the entry and/or image (all attributes, collectively, per person, a “Persona”) for purposes of advertising and trade, in any format, medium, or technology now known or later developed without further notice, approval, or compensation, unless prohibited by law.
Entries that are in compliance with these Official Rules may, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, be posted to the Sponsor’s Website(s) and other media platforms.
Any questions regarding the number of entries submitted shall be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, and Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any entries by persons who submit false or misleading entry information or who Sponsor determines to be tampering with or abusing any aspect of the Contest.
4. Winners. At the end of the Contest Period, the five (5) eligible entries with the highest number of likes, as measured and reported by the TikTok platform, will be selected as potential winners.
5. Prizes. Subject to verification of eligibility and compliance with Official Rules, Nationwide will make a contribution of Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000) to support the school music programs associated each of the five (5) winning groups. Funds will be contributed directly to the school or to an authorized booster organization at the school’s direction. Decision of Sponsor will be final.
Prize winners are responsible for any expenses incurred in connection with participation in the Contest. Prizes are non-transferable, and no substitution will be made except as provided herein at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winners are responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. Nationwide reserves the right to withhold the prizes outlined above in the event that it determines, in its sole determination and discretion, that the winner is in violation of the Official Rules or the law.
6. Winner Notification, Verification, and Acceptance. Potential winners will be notified on or about Dec 15, 2023 via private message on the TikTok platform. In order to win, potential winner must respond to Sponsor’s notification within two business days of the time of notice or attempted notice. Potential winners (including all individuals included in the entry may be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law), and any other documentation required by Sponsor, which must be returned within (3) days of notification. Failure to do so may result in the potential winner’s disqualification and the selection of a substitute winner.
If a Prize winner is not eligible to win, or if Sponsor is unable to contact the winner after a reasonable effort, the prize will be forfeited, and an alternate winner may be selected. Odds of winning depend on number of eligible entries received.
A PARTICIPANT IS NOT A WINNER OF ANY PRIZE UNLESS AND UNTIL SPONSOR HAS COMPLETED ITS VERIFICATION OF PARTICIPANT’S ELIGIBILITY.
7. Participation. By participating, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and any Contest judges or administrators selected by Sponsor, which are final and binding in all respects. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by a virus, non-authorized human intervention, tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, or if TikTok platform changes or outages disrupt the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date. Proof of sending or submission of an entry will not be deemed proof of receipt by Sponsor.
8. Indemnification. If Sponsor’s use of your entry causes Sponsor to be subject to a claim by any third party, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless, to the extent permitted by law, the Released Parties, and all persons acting by, through, under or in concert with them, against any and all damages, costs, judgments and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) which the Released Parties (or any one of them) may incur as a result of the use of your entry.
9. Release. By entering this Contest, you agree to release, discharge, indemnify, and hold harmless Nationwide and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, suppliers, distributors, advertising/ promotion agencies, and each of their respective parent companies and each such company's shareholders, officers, directors, employees, members, licensors, assigns and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any and all liability whatsoever from any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
10. Limitations of Liability. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST, PARTICIPANTS ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT EVERYTHING REGARDING THIS CONTEST, INCLUDING THE PRIZE(S), ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND THAT SPONSOR MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ABOUT THE PRIZE(S) AND SPONSOR HEREBY DISCLAIMS ALL SUCH WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. (BECAUSE SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN IMPLIED WARRANTIES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH STATES, THE LIABILITY OF THE RELEASED PARTIES IS LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY SUCH STATE LAW.)
11. Construction. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. In the event that any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained therein.
12. Disputes/Governing Law. Except where prohibited, as a condition of participating in the Contest, entrant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and all claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with the Contest or any prize awarded, or the determination of winner shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages, or any other damages, including attorneys' fees, and entrant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased. All issues and questions rights and obligations of entrant in connection with the Contest shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Ohio, without giving effect to the conflict of laws rules thereof.
WINNER LIST. For a list of Prize winners, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Jingle Contest Winner Request, Nationwide Social Media Marketing Team, 1 W. Nationwide Blvd., 28th floor, Columbus, OH 43215.