34 Steps Toward Zero Lives Lost
Grain Bin Rescue Tubes Address 62% Accident Fatality Rate
Every time farmers and grain handlers step into a grain bin to remove clumped or rotting grain, they risk their lives. It only takes seconds to be completely engulfed in flowing grain or suffocated and overcome by oxygen-deficient atmospheres.
Added to the risk is a lack of equipment needed by local fire departments and emergency responders to rescue workers who have been trapped in grain bins or other storage facilities.
According to researchers at Purdue University, more than 900 cases of grain engulfment have been reported with a fatality rate of 62% in the past 50 years, with the highest, single-year incident total of 38 documented grain entrapments resulting in 18 deaths in 2014.
Nationwide created the Nominate Your Fire Department Contest, in conjunction with Grain Bin Safety Week, an advocacy program to educate those entering grain bins to implement safe entry procedures and address the lack of specialized resources available to rural fire departments, who are responding to bin entrapments. This year’s campaign brings the totals to nearly 3,000 nominations and awards of grain rescue tubes and hands-on rescue training to 111 fire departments across 26 states including Ohio since starting the program in 2014.
“We encourage farmers and grain handlers to commit to always following safe grain bin safety procedures. Nationwide will continue to build safety awareness through great collaboration with industry leaders, agricultural professionals and emergency responders,” noted Brad Liggett, president of Nationwide Agribusiness. “It’s very exciting to see such widespread interest in the mission of zero lives lost.”
2019 Grain Bin Rescue Tube Recipients
Nationwide, the number one farm insurer in the United States, is proud to announce the 34 2019 fire departments winning Grain Bin Rescue Tubes this year:
• Flemington-Raritan First Aid & Rescue Squad – Flemington, NJ
• Harrington Volunteer Fire Company – Harrington, DE• Landisburg Fire Company - Landisburg, PA
• New Centerville & Rural Volunteer Fire – Rockwood, PA
• Dauntless Fire Company – Ebensburg, PA
• Ontario County Rope Rescue Team – Canadaigua, NY
• Fancher Hulberton Murray – Albion, NY
• Carthage Fire Department – Lake Preston, SD
• Clear Lake Fire Department – Clear Lake, WI
• Amery Fire Department – Amery, WI
• Elsie Area Fire Department – Elsie, MI
• Greenville Township Emergency Services – Apple Creek, OH
• Hartford Fire Department – Croton, OH
• Wauseon Fire Department – Wauseon, OH
• Barlow Volunteer Fire Department – Vincent, OH
• Rowley Fire Department– Rowley, IA
• Welcome Fire Dept – Welcome, MN
• Nashville Fire Protection District – Nashville, IL
• Trumann Fire Department – Trumann, AR
• Schlater Volunteer Fire Department – Schlater, MS
• Collins Fire Department – Collins, MS
• Haywood Volunteer Fire Department – Glasgow, KY
• Anthony Volunteer Fire Department – Anthony, KS
• Deer Creek Volunteer Fire Department – Deer Creek, OK
• Cloud Chief Fire Department – New Cordell, OK
• City of Goodland Fire Department – Goodland, KS
• Eolia Community Fire Protection District – Eolia, MO
• Westran Fire and Rescue – Huntsville, MO
• Versailles Rural Fire Protection District – Versailles, MO
• Liberal Rural Fire Department – Liberal, MO
• Bourbon County Fire District – Uniontown, KS
• Central Platte Fire Protection District – Platte City, MO
• Town of Winchester Fire Department – Larsen, WI
• United Hook and Ladder Company33 – New Oxford, PA
Critical Partners in Distributing Rescue TubesThe winning fire departments will receive training upon receipt of the Grain Bin Rescue Tubes. The program is supported by Nationwide and the following generous partners:
• KC Supply
• Corteva Agriscience
• Specialty Risk Insurance
• Lutz Agency, Inc.
• Grosskreutz Crop Insurance Agency
• Delaware Farm Bureau
• Donner-Farber & Associates, Inc.
• Schiff Farms
• Sechler Insurance Group, LLC
• Staples & Associates
• Agri-Business Insurance Services
• David Larson Financial and Insurance Services, Inc.
• West Side Salvage
• Cornerstone Insurance Services
• First Gabrielson Insurance Agency
• Nohr Wortmann Engineering
• Sump Saver
• Stuber Insurance Agency
Nationwide, a Fortune 100 company based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the United States. Nationwide is rated A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s. An industry leader in driving customer-focused innovation, Nationwide provides a full range of insurance and financial services products including auto, business, homeowners, farm and life insurance; public and private sector retirement plans, annuities and mutual funds; excess & surplus, specialty and surety; pet, motorcycle and boat insurance. For more information, visit www.nationwide.com. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.